cozi

Cozi is a FREE online family calendar, shopping list, family journal & photo collage screensaver. Simplify family life with Cozi.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Fears I've Faced with the Help of My OS!

I have a bunch of random fears.  Normal fears, ridiculous fears, common and uncommon fears!  I have fears ranging from fear of heights, all the way to deeper fears, like possible abandonment.  Ever since I became a mother, I have been forced to face a literal spread of fears!  From the time I found out I was pregnant, I learned the importance of facing fears.  The birth process alone is enough to make you realize you don't have much of a choice when it comes to facing fears!  Can I get an "AMEN!" mommas?  ;)
One of the biggest fears my kiddos challenge me on, without even knowing, is my fear of heights.  I have not wanted to pass that on to my kids, so I have faked it like nobodies business when they are in the equation!  It always drives me a little bonkers when kids have fears, but no reason to have them other than absorbing them from the big people around them.  So that brings me to why I am afraid of heights.  As a kid, I ended up stuck on the top wheel of a triple ferris wheel when it broke down.. Er uh...  :(  Also, I have fallen off of the ski lift.  Not once, but twice.  No need to go into details, :)  but just let me tell you I love to ski and snowboard, and it is a shame you need to ride that thing to the top, because I pretty much refuse to go on it!  I am pathetic!  PERIOD!  LOL 
A few years ago, we took the kids to The North Pole.  I have never been much of a thrill seeker, ever.  I remember when I realized that in order for all of the kids to go on the gondola, we would ALL have to ride it...  I looked at Cory and he gave me a little hug and whispered in my ear "you'll be ok, you can do it."  I was white knuckled the whole time as my boys were thrilled and giggling and turning around to wave to their daddy (only adding to my stress levels!  LOL).  They loved it, I loved that they loved it, and I survived it!  I am pretty sure if I didn't ever have kids I would stick to my freaked out ways and avoid that stuff all together!  lol   This isn't the only thing I have ever done to face this fear, but just one of the many things I've done because my babies wanted to!   I have bungee jumped for crying in the milk!  What is wrong with me?  lol
When we were at Disneyland, I knew it was going to be a sardine packed trip of facing more fears!  LUCKY ME!  The worst was Space Mountain!  I remember looking at our boys and how giddy and excited they were running up the ramp to the top of the ride.  Then I looked at Cory and he grabbed my hand and smiled.  What a guy!  lol  Getting on the ride with them was a whole other experience in and of itself!  I was freaking out and if I could have would have gladly took the bail out pass and exited.  ASAP!  Priceless pic below... LOL  Me losing my mind, completely terrified, Cory too, Wyatt and Cody thrilled, and Nathan almost looks bored!  Mission accomplished!  They are not afraid, instead, totally opposite!  That makes me pretty darn torn.  Mostly because I know that entails more rides for me, but thrilled they aren't afraid!

Tonight, there was a pool party for my 2 oldest OS (offspring).  Our community pool has a slide.  I usually escape it minus once or twice each time we head to the pool.  Refer to heights.  It takes me all I can muster from my toenails up to make it up the stairs that 1st time (I usually get better with each run!) and the tricky part is doing it with a smile on my mommy face .  Tonight, the 2 oldest bolted to be with their buddies and there I was with my youngest, with a sparkle in his eye, gazing at the slide!  "Momma, let's go!!!!"  And up we went.  My heart raced that whole trip up (like usual!).  But then, after we went down and he grabbed my hand, with the biggest grin, and asked to go again, I realized my kids aren't the only ones growing up every day!  I lost count after 10 trips down.  Those little rascals don't even know what amazing little teachers and encouragers they are.  I am definitely the winner here!!!  So glad that God knows just what I need to stretch me out a bit!

Maybe one day, I won't think twice.  I'll just jump and go and not even hang on the thread of that particular fear again...  Some fears are healthy, some hold us back!  I for one, am so glad that I have such a strong team urging me on to be free from the ones that have held me back!!!  Fear is not from God, at least the unhealthy crippling fears.  :)  I'd like to think common sense overlaps with some fears!  ;)  Every day I try to cling to that truth!  Heights are just one that are easy to recognize...  Fear of loss, abandonment, or not being loved are all fears we all face at some point, and harder to see.  We are not supposed to live in fear and thankfully, because of Him, most days I live fear free!!!  He gives us an army to help us face these things every day.  I'm blessed to have the 3 cutest army members under my own roof!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment